Racing / Passing Etiquette

General Bike Talk
shredder

Racing / Passing Etiquette

#1 Post by shredder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Ok first of all this is nothing new new and I'm not trying to start up a heated "that's racing" thread blah blah blah. But let me get back on my soap box (if I can find...it's here some where)
I want to point out to some of our younger riders - the 900's and 800's that getting passed is always going to happen. There is always someone faster out there and that's just the way it is. For the most part we all get lapped by some one, some time. (sound like a Dean Martin song?)

It's funny that I work through the 700's at Merwin - I roar up on Karl and he gives me room instantly, rushed on WireFryer and the go-pro and poof! he waves me on and slides to the right. Caught up to Devon and he took the left side of the steep down hill so I slid down the hill - slick no prob. Caught Joe there in the creek bottom - he picked up the pace till he got on the corners and lets me slide tight on the inside, never lost a lick - thanks Joe as I know you were working hard with that flat tire but got over as soon as ya could. I appreciated Marty and all he did for me that day too - very cool guys! It's nice to see that the 700's is still a gentleman's class

I'll keep it short and sweet as this is only my opinion... When I came up on Dave (1010) first of all I knew something was a-miss as I should have NEVER came up on em so fast. He was tangled up with an 800 rider on the last lap who refused to let him by. When I showed up I was patient at first but it became clear that his mission in life was to let NO ONE PASS! Well that's racing and that's ok too. Just please be aware that for those few of you who refuse to let anyone pass - even if they are not in your class - be ready for the wrath that comes with it and some of the boys out there in the woods can really put the heat on ya super quick.

I ran a really fast for me race at Merwin - the fastest percentile of this year (78 percent) and as I'm flying down the track I was letting anyone pass me as well! My outlook is this: Anyone who just appeared on my rear fender like an Apache helicopter on a lighting bug need only "whoop" me once and POOF!, I slide over, give em a little hand wave and problem solved.

Dave and I wadded it up as it looked like the 800 rider (not going to mention exact numbers here) was finally going to show some mercy and let us pass. Dave went left and I went right instantly and grabbed a handful. The 800 rider got loose and it looked like it was going from bad to worse. Instead of riding up the side of the 800 rider Dave snapped back into line and took the same line I chose. I already committed to it it and Dave couldn't see me so I "nudged" into him. I hit him like a 2200 foot per second 50 cal bullet hits a 2" thick steel plate. I'm not sure what happened but we slid so long in the dirt that I actually (no kidding) was able to yell stuff at Dave before we even stopped sliding.

Snapped a buckle on my asteriks, ripped out a boot buckle, trail rash on both arms, cool lil nasty hematoma on the right leg, twisted triple clamps and broken bike switch. (Gotta turn on the fuel injection or the go go is a no go.)

Dave understood completely as we talked after the show. He wanted to stay and make sure I was cool but I didn't want him to lose a possible position. (Randy is always out there...lurking...) I started pushing the bike out but soon realized that waiting for help was the best idea. Dave sent in some sweepers to help get me out when he got to scoring and let the wife know all was good.

It's doesn't have to go that way is all I'm saying. Let's have fun doing this and keep it safe!

It's all good! :wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Re: Racing / Passing Etiquette

#2 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:42 pm

Let's try an experiment. Post the rider number!

Also, all of you need to remind me to bring this up at every riders meeting and when all is quiet and the 30 second board is up.

Why were you guys behind an 800 rider? Lapping?
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

El Dog

#3 Post by El Dog » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Every coin has two sides:
I am in my second full year of this and when I hear the 'whoops' or 'revs' behind me I do my best to make room for the rider to pass; however, as I improve and start laying down better tracks I will no longer move over (or stop) at a time when it would put me at a disadvantage in my own race; ie. I will keep moving in tight single track and slide over ASAP when the trail widens. Twice in the race a Merwin I was ...eh-eh...notified that I needed to move over only to find that it was one of my class riders... that's BS. If it's late in a race and I feel I am in a good position, I am going to have to be pretty damn sure that the rider tootin' the horn behind me is not in my class before I slide over.
I actually caught and passed a few 800 riders; they were pretty quick to let me slide by.
Loved the course at Merwin....
El Dog
#1042 ,'10 CRF 250

quik406

#4 Post by quik406 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:24 pm

I have been on both sides of this. My first year I would just move when someone caught me. This year, I am not sure I would move... That being said, you know if someone out of the blue fly's up behind you. You can bet he is faster.
It is amazing to me how hard it is to get past a slower rider. At Melvern I was held up by a 600 for 2 and 1/2 laps. He was so much slower I found myself daydreaming, but for the life of me I could not get enough forward bite to get around him. I revved my engine, yelled, cussed, went inside, outside, even yelled "Im a 700!" When I did, finally get around, in 30 seconds he was out of sight, GONE. (and my lap times came back!)
Fortunately for him, dirt bikes are not like dirt cars, because he would have been spun out!
I agree, it is racing, but sometimes common sense should come into play! We race for fun! Why hurt someone for a plastic trophy. Hell, I would have had one specially made for that 600, just to get him to move! :mrgreen:

shredder

#5 Post by shredder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:35 pm

We were behind him because he was in front of us! :wink:
It wasn't like we were pressing him from the get go Dan. Dave was on him a while before I caught up. The dude was almost crashing himself to take up as much track as he could swerving left and right consistently. I was patient for a while, I figured He would eventually take himself out.

At the turn he gets his bike sideways with the rear brake and Dave could have just used him for traction and that would have put both of us around at the cost of putting him down. (not cool) So Dave (unknowingly) under cuts me but I already jammed it down a gear and had her wound up. I shot the gun just before Dave runs into the line of fire. He didn't even see me. I really creamed him. As we went sliding we were both off our bikes sliding on our sides and eye to eye as we were sliding to a stop. I could see the surprise in his eyes so I looked at Dave and say - Well I finally got ya! (Because technically I was 4 inches ahead of him on the track.)

Racing is racing... I just want to remind us all that some times even the juniors are screaming along and need to get around. Sometimes we get so caught up in the forest that we can't see the trees.

I know its nothing personal cause Dave and I don't even know who he is. We cool, I just thought it would be a good time of the year to point things out as I get the feeling the 1000's are going to be battling all the way to the last second the rest of the year. They are true, honorable, racers with integrity...but we hate to lose.... :wink:

It's all good!

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

shredder

#6 Post by shredder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Look Dave still got second and I got third place which I had every lap all day. I just will always wonder what might have been. I'm sure that when you (Dan) explain it then we will all be on the same page

It also sucked seeing all the dudes I passed go by as I'm walking my bike back. Right now I'm trying to use ace bandages to ease the pain from the cracked ribs I received (I'm guessing Daves handle bars got under my chest protector), and I've got 50' of over head 6" cast iron pipe to replace tomorrow. (I'm usually in bed by now!) :wink:

Braaap!

DEA

#7 Post by DEA » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:31 am

So i thought i would chime in on this since ive got a few minutes i could spare, coming from an expirenced A rider that really doesnt race much anymore is that we are all here to just have fun, we dont do it for the paycheck, and if the rider trying to pass is truely a better, faster rider, he will find a way around safely. i realizes this can be hard in some of the tighter tracks but, sometimes patience pays off. a few 20 seconds wont hurt you much. I usually take the extra time to take in some air, maybe some water, then as soon as i get around him or her i charge hard.
Thanks to Katie, Luke, Ali, and LETKO Cycles, Kenda, Amsoil, ODI, DT1, HBD Motographx, Dirt Tricks, Acerbis, Scott, AXO, Gaerne, Pivot Works, Vertex, Hot Rods, and Regina for the support. #215

shredder

#8 Post by shredder » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:59 am

That was well put and thanks DEA!

I'm just trying to point out that 1 of 2 things is going to happen here...the faster rider is going to pass the easy way or the hard way and the choice is up to the guy in front. Not getting over is one thing but making an effort to hold back a rider not even in your class ?

I'm just going to remind Dan and co to mention it on race day. :wink:

DEA

#9 Post by DEA » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:19 pm

those guys usually get a little tire rub, most of the time they start to get the hint really quick.
Thanks to Katie, Luke, Ali, and LETKO Cycles, Kenda, Amsoil, ODI, DT1, HBD Motographx, Dirt Tricks, Acerbis, Scott, AXO, Gaerne, Pivot Works, Vertex, Hot Rods, and Regina for the support. #215

KTM_rookie

#10 Post by KTM_rookie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 pm

I’ve been riding with FMHSC for almost 6 years now and have run anywhere from 38 to 82 speed %. I’ve been passed plenty of times so I’ve been there (still there, especially when races are not split). I don’t think you should “Woo-Hoo” someone in your own class. If you catch someone in your class, you’re racing them and should have to work to get around them. That being said, when someone catches you, find out if they’re in your class when you can safely do so. If they caught you, well, they’re riding faster than you. Or if you hear them holler they’re not in your class, that makes it even easier. If they’re not in your class, give them a chance to get around you as soon as you can do it safely. Chances are, they will be out of your sight in short order.

I had a similar situation as Shredder, luckily not as bad. I caught a 600 rider with a helmet cam(not sure of bike #), Woo-Hoo’d, followed for a while, cussed, hollered (he looked back at me at one point), Woo-Hoo’d some more, tried to pass on the inside in a wider area in the woods and he closed the door on me, down I went. Luckily nothing broke, me nor the bike. Got going again and caught him a few minutes later, same story. He finally made a mistake and I got around him. And guess what? We never saw each other again. But that crap shouldn’t happen.

I later caught 2 riders. Both refused to get out of the way as well. Had to wait for each to bobble or lay it down in order to get by.

It’s understandable that you can’t always move over in tight woods right away. I get that. What I don’t get is twisting the throttle wide-open when the path widens and straightens out. We’re all fast in the hay field. Racing Etiquette…

Through all of this, the gap between myself and Frakes #703 (someone I’m actually trying to race!) widened to the point of no return. Ooooh it just hit me…Kevin, were you up there passing out 20-dollar bills as you passed by these 600-riders, telling them who to block? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I recall passing that rider as well. He made it easy...waited for a safe spot, moved over a foot or two, let me by and that was it. I just remember that because I recall following him on the practice lap and recognized him in the race.

Hey Dan, how about starting the 700’s out in front of the 600’s? The classes are the same speed percentage range. That way we older, distinguished gentlemen (I’m sure we have one somewhere) can show these younger guys how to get out of the way.
Jason