spongey front brake

millwright

spongey front brake

#1 Post by millwright » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:20 pm

ok, so i have 2013 ktm 200 that the front brake turned to mush on overnight. Anybody got A sweet little trick for this ? Been through a whole container of brake fluid, bleeding, reverse bleeding, dissasembling , filling with fluid reassembling, bleeding. . . . . . you get the picture. Just feels like air to me. Not ready to start using hybrid parts like all the ktmtalk guys want you to do. It worked before so it should work again.. right ?

slomojo

Re: spongey front brake

#2 Post by slomojo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:29 am

The caliper slide pins could be worn or loose,and letting the caliper move. Look and see if the caliper is moving when you apply the brake.
Joe Lederhouse
I said I love it,I didn't say I was good at it.
08 #962
09 #962
10 #762
11 #762
12 #74
13 #1062
14 #1003

Blazin Bob

#3 Post by Blazin Bob » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:32 am

I am not an expert by any means, but I would check to make sure all of the banjo fittings on the brake line are snug and all of the appropriate crush washers are in place on the fittings first. Then I would inspect the brake line very closely to see if maybe a rock or something put a small nick or hole in the brake line somewhere. As long as you are bleeding it correctly(keep the resevoir full as you bleed the system) and it sounds like you are, air has to be getting in the system from somewhere to cause the spongey feeling. I would think that your bike is too new to have any of the brake components be worn out, but I suppose it's not impossible. Good luck and hope that helps.

quik406

#4 Post by quik406 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Pump brakes up then making sure the lever is fully released from engaging with the plunger pry the pads to push the piston back into the bore. Leave the top off reservoir and make sure bars are turned too keep it level and full. Do that a few times, should push any air out.....I have had the same problem before and it always has worked for me.

millwright

#5 Post by millwright » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Ok. So we are back to doing two finger stoppies :D . I dont know what it is about these KTM brakes, but they are a pain ! Finally had to pull system from bike, Hanging everything in a straight line so there is no where for air to hide, then reverse bled from caliper.