Orrick Race

General Bike Talk
Khowat

Orrick Race

#1 Post by Khowat » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:37 pm

What a great course layout, good work to everone that was involved with the setup. Was a technical and challenging but still racable. Made a speedy course change before the race that worked out good. +1 for adding in the airtime smiles, and trial options, seemed like every lap I was able to pick a different path and gauge the line breakdown. May beat out Iowa for race of the year, can't wait do find out.

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Re: Orrick Race

#2 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:14 pm

I am beginning to notice a pattern. The day after a difficult race it is pretty much crickets on our site. The day after an easy race it's post after post!

Keep in mind that the landowner and the promoter for each race really get a kick out of reading race reports and general feedback from everyone. So let's hear what you have to say!

The landowner is super excited about the race and he owns a bulldozer and a bobcat and a lot of other equipment and he already has ideas about a course for next year. I am pretty sure that that muddy creek will be a solid rock crossing when he gets done with it.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

Khowat

#3 Post by Khowat » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:14 pm

J450NX5

#4 Post by J450NX5 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:25 pm

That track was freaking awesome! It def tested your riding skills and endurance. The property itself is a dirt bikers paradise! My race was pretty good. Had a decent start. Had to wait for a bit for the guys to clear out on i think the second rocky hill climb. Got through it and tried to push a hard pace and started getting tired earlier then usual. Came up to the hard pass through a little dip and saw a big gob of tree roots. Bounced and slid off them, dumped the bike and broke my front break lever. It was all good as I usually just use one finger and I had enough poking out I could still use it. I got the bike back up and kept motoring. I rolled up on that slab of rock you started a downhill on and thought hmm. I gave it my full undivided attention and held on tight. Made it through with no problems. Made it through the fist lap I think in 3rd. Finished 8th. That course was fun and brutal at the same time. Wore me out pretty good. Was sore most the day at work. Great job!!!!
Jason Helm
#923 (2015) 2001 YZ250
#890 (2016) 2013 250xc
#690 (2017) 2013 250xc
#585 (2018) 2013 250xc/2014 350sxf

AJ227

#5 Post by AJ227 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:40 pm

This was hands down my best race ever.

I never post a report but this place was so awesome and I rode so well I figured why not.

I went on practice and loved it but was unsure how the race would go as I didn't feel like I had the speed but then again I can never judge my race pace off of practice.

Off the start I didn't quite have the holeshot but luckily I was the last one to hit the brakes and barely stole it. My rear tire came into another guys front tire but no one went down and we charged into the grass track. We hit the first rocky uphill with 2 line selections and I picked the wrong one. Luckily I had a good enough gap to jump in front of the guy in 2nd who picked the good line and he tapped my rear tire giving me a boost up the hill. We came into scoring on the first lap and PJ was right on my tail. After that I knew I needed to go so I put the hammer down as best I could and pulled a gap. By lap 4 or 5 I had gotten around 3 or 4 AA guys. I came through scoring and Mark Schaffer told me to slow down, I was thinking to myself that's kind of odd. So I knew the gap had to be decent but I kept pushing. All the lappers were doing great and the creek crossings didn't get chewed up bad enough to cause me problems. I came in on lap 6 for fresh goggles, I could barely see for half of the last lap getting roosted by a lapper in the creek and no tear offs left. When I switched out my goggles my dad said I had a 3 minute lead and I didn't know what to think but all I knew is that I did not want to go on that last lap. So I hit every smooth line I could find while keeping a decent pace. When I came in and saw the checkers I was relieved and by then I had a 5 minute and 22 second lead over 2nd place. I haven't even won a single race this year so I was pretty stoked.

I have to thank Gary Emig for tuning my suspension a couple weeks ago because I think it made all the difference in the world. Also Bulletproof Designs for the best deals and best parts you can get.

nostartphil

#6 Post by nostartphil » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:57 pm

Great course! I really enjoyed the technical, rocky, root infested uphills. They were challenging but fun. Lots of creek crossings and the trail through those two ginormous rocks was awesome. The only thing that ticked me off was my front tire went down halfway through my second lap. :x Thanks to all those who make these events possible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q82vZlWIJ8Y
#747 2015-2016
#651 2014
2012 KTM 300XC

Pumpkinpatch

#7 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:04 am

AJ227 wrote:... I came through scoring and Mark Schaffer told me to slow down, I was thinking to myself that's kind of odd. So I knew the gap had to be decent but I kept pushing......
Well, truth be told; I was kind of joking when I said that; but not really.
1) you had a great lead and pace and I'd hate to see you hit the wall and drop off, and
2) Jared was closing on 2nd fast and I hoped those two would hook up and make a show of it. Didn't quite work that way as you kept the hammer down.

You ran an awesome race. Congrats.
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Thanks to #pumpkinpatchracing, Letko Cycles, MSR, EVS, DeCal Works, Atlas, 100%, Motorcare, HeavyD, DT1, Mika Metals

nkilgore

#8 Post by nkilgore » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:12 am

This was my first race and it was a challenge but i managed to finish! (somehow) Thanks to everyone made it possible. Now i got the fever!
Nick
Kawasaki KX250F
F.U.N. #1202

Crawford31

#9 Post by Crawford31 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:15 am

Hands down the best venue and course layout of the year in my opinion. It was nice to have places to pass and to have a hard and not as hard route that would break up the single file parade riding. Excellent job on the layout and excellent job on the reroutes caused by the rain. Hats off to the land owner and everyone who worked on the trails!! Very much appreciated! Now I'd like to go back and ride some of the hill climbs that I saw off to the side of the trails.

Greg Crawford

Spooner

#10 Post by Spooner » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Wow what a fun venue! Like most guys I would love to go out and just play ride it-looks like there is a lot more to ride there.

My race didn't go that great unfortunately but not a total disaster. I had probably my worst start of the year but was probably 7th or so around the hay bale. We all were nose to tail until the first hard climb and both lines were a mess with guys stuck. I wish I followed John Gordon after seeing that video as you guys avoided it all. When I finally got through and to the second big climb it was like there was a sniper in a tree taking guys out all over the hill haha! I've never seen such a mess! I made it about half way up but got cut off by a guy crashing and it took me forever to get out of there. I lost almost 6 minutes on the first lap which put me way back in 15th. The next lap I caught up to Eric Schneider and followed him through start finish. I passed him right before we got back into the woods but on the first hard climb I picked the wrong line as halfway up there were some guys stuck but I was able to get by fairly quick but Eric snuck back by. I was able to pass him again at some point but he was right on my tail going through timing. For some reason I thought the 4th lap would be our last so I tried to get a gap and hopefully find some more 700's as I made it up to 10th at that point. Came through after that lap and and still in 10th and I asked if that was it as they were holding the checkers but not waving it. She said no so I took off hoping I could catch more guys. In the end I just was put at too much of a deficit the first lap to make up but I didn't crash at all which was nice for a change and I really had a blast riding the course. Big thanks to Dan and all the workers for putting on an awesome event and finding such a great place to race.
2012 KTM 250xc